Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Question/Statement: “My internist stated that the 'gold standard' for sarcoidosis is a bronchosomething or other--a biopsy.”

Answer: Although I am sure your internist has good intentions, the statement is not true. (see below).

Gold Standard Definition:
  • In medicine, a 'gold standard test' is the diagnostic test that is regarded as definitive in determining whether an individual has a particular disease process. To meet this definition, the test must have the ability to definitively determine the presence or absence of a disease. The ‘gold standard’ is the single test that other tests are compared to.
  • Of note, the term ‘gold standard’ is being replaced by ‘criterion standard test’ to mean the same thing. However, for the sake of the specific question/statement above, I will continue to use the older term.
Reasons for the answer:
  • The definition of ‘gold standard’ refers to a single superior test. As you know, you can only have one best of anything. Therefore, stating that there is more than one gold standard for any disease (bronchoscopy or biopsy) is not compatible with the definition. For you Highlander (1986) fans out there, “There can be only one.”
  • Secondly, there is no gold standard for Sarcoidosis. The definition of ‘gold standard’ requires that the test can definitively determine the presence or absence of a disease on its own. There are no tests for sarcoidosis that meets this criteria.
  • Some people will inappropriately use the term ‘gold standard” to refer to the perceived best test. However, I would defer from this distorted definition because it is misleading. Following this erroneous rational gives a test more credit than it deserves and can lead to inaccurate conclusions.
Why is there no gold standard for Sarcoidosis?
  • There is no single test to date that can definitively diagnose the disease. This is not too surprising given that the etiology remains unidentified. Even pathology samples, which are considered by many to be the best diagnostic option, are fraught with error.
Then how do you diagnose Sarcoidosis?
  • Because there is no one single definitive test for sarcoidosis, the diagnosis is achieved via a combination of clinical, radiographic and histological findings.  Not every patient suspected of having sarcoidosis will need undergo risky invasive procedures. When noninvasive data is convincing enough, the diagnosis can be achieved. Obviously, this is not always the case and therefore more invasive procedures may be necessary to realize the diagnosis. I would recommend non invasive options first.
Here are a few references I found on a quick search (in regard to the specific question in red above):


“There is no “gold standard” of diagnosis but only support for the diagnosis”
http://www.baylorhealth.edu/proceedings/14_1/14_1_pierce.html


“There currently exists no gold standard to confirm the diagnosis of sarcoidosis.”
http://jem.rupress.org/cgi/content/full/203/2/359


“Owing to the absence of a diagnostic gold standard, sarcoidosis is a diagnosis of exclusion”
http://jada.ada.org/cgi/content/full/137/1/54


No single test can be relied on for a correct diagnosis of sarcoidosis.
http://www.medhelp.org/lib/sarcoid.htm


Sarcoidosis remains a diagnosis based on exclusion... A “gold standard” test to identify which patients require treatment when noncritical organs are involved would be useful.
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/meetings/workshops/sarcoid-wkgp.htm


Although there is no single gold standard test…
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1891789/


As there is no definitive “gold standard” for the diagnosis, sarcoidosis is essentially a diagnosis of exclusion.
http://medind.nic.in/jac/t04/i1/jact04i1p12.pdf


4 comments:


  1. I am really happy that i have been cured from SARCOIDOSIS DISEASE with the herbal medicine of DR HOPE I have been suffering from this disease for a long time now without solution until i came across the email of this doctor who have cure so many people with his herbal medicine, i also choose to give him a chance to help me, he told me what to do and i kindly did it, and he gave me his herbal medicine and direct me on how to use it, i also follow his instructions for use and he ask me to go for a check up after 2 weeks which i did, to my greatest surprise my result came out as negative, i am really happy that there is someone like this doctor who is ready to help anytime any day. To all the readers and viewers that is doubting this testimony stop doubting it and contact this doctor if you have any disease and see if he will not actually help you. I know that there are some people out there who are really suffering and hurting their family just because of these diseases so you can email him on drhopeherbalhome@gmail.com or call him on this Tel. Number :+2348131652960. He also told me that he has cure for these diseases listed below: HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS DIABETES,CANCER,HEPATITIS,HIV/AIDS SIPHILIS, Human papillomavirus(HPV),cerebrospinal meningitis,Chagas Disease,Alzheimer’s disease,Schizophrenia,or any kind of disease at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i already gave up on ever getting cured of HSV2 because i have try many treatment none of them work out for me i have go to different hospital they always tell me same thing there is no cure for herpes when i came across a post about Dr ohunyom, in the net from a lady called Angela i contacted him and he reassured me with him herbal medicine which i took according to the way he instructed, that how i was cured. I doubted at first because i have been to a whole lot of reputable doctors, tried a lot of medicines but none was able to cure me. so i decided to listen to him and he commenced treatment, and under two weeks i was totally fee from #Herpes. i want to say a very big thank you to DR ohunyom for what he has done in my life. feel free to leave him a message on email drohunyom@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2349060579973..
      He can still be able to help you with this herbs medicine:
      1...ALS CURE/DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV CURE/LUPUS/HEPATITIS/CANCER/GOUT      

      Delete
  2. Thanks to dr.ezomo for his good work I never believe that ALS has cure, I was ALS over 3 year now before I came across a comment about how
    dr.ezomo cure ALS and herpes disease but when I saw it i have it in mind
    that he cant cure ALS I just decided to give it a try I contact him that
    night luckily to me he replied me, but I dont believe him I thought it was
    a scam but I still hold on to see the work of Dr ezomo if he is saying the
    truth he ask for some details about me i gave him all he needed and I
    waited to see his reply to my problem after all, he told me to go for check
    up and I went for alsd test I cant believe I was negative,am so happy and
    grateful to God for using Dr ezomo to cure me, that is the reason why i
    decided to write this wonderful testimony of our i was cured, i recommend
    Dr ezomo to you all around the world,contact him on his Email dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number+2349069171173
    dr.ezomo for helping me at this young age if you need help contact,
    He can also cure so many sickness

    ReplyDelete
  3. i already gave up on ever getting cured of HSV2 because i have try many treatment none of them work out for me i have go to different hospital they always tell me same thing there is no cure for herpes when i came across a post about Dr ohunyom, in the net from a lady called Angela i contacted him and he reassured me with him herbal medicine which i took according to the way he instructed, that how i was cured. I doubted at first because i have been to a whole lot of reputable doctors, tried a lot of medicines but none was able to cure me. so i decided to listen to him and he commenced treatment, and under two weeks i was totally fee from #Herpes. i want to say a very big thank you to DR ohunyom for what he has done in my life. feel free to leave him a message on email drohunyom@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2349060579973..
    He can still be able to help you with this herbs medicine:
    1...ALS CURE/DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV CURE/LUPUS/HEPATITIS/CANCER/GOUT      

    ReplyDelete