Thursday, September 2, 2010

Question: "I recently got the sap of this succulent plant on me and it burns like white hot fire. What do I do?"

Answer: 
  • If this is Euphorbia tirucalli then you are in for some pain. However, the following general suggestions would probably work for many different types of toxic plant sap. 
  • Of note, this topic really wasn’t covered in medical school and it is not in any of my major textbooks.  Therefore, I am using some common sense here as well as insight from my own personal experience.  
  • The best first step is to get the sap off of you as best as you can. The faster the better b/c Euphorbia tirucalli sap dries fast and is harder to remove.
  • Removing Euphorbia tirucalli sap is difficult b/c it acts a bit like glue and dries clear.
  • Even when you think it is gone, trace invisible residue can cause major symptoms. Therefore wash for at least 15 min... more like 30 min. 
  • Soap, water and time.
  • Don't wash over dirty dishes in the sink-you don't want to ingest even a tiny amount of residue from this powerful toxin.
  • Discard anything that you think might have sap on it.  It can cause problems later even if you don't see it.  
  • Throw away whatever you used to clean with when you are done.
  • IMPORTANT, if you are in the shower, be careful how the water drains off the area you are washing. You could easily wash the sap residue from one place to another place downstream on your body. You definitely don’t want to damage your extra sensitive body parts.   
  • If you get the sap on your skin, or worst, in your eye or ingest it, see your doctor/go to the hospital asap... But don’t drive yourself there because the pain is very distracting-making it unsafe to drive. If the sap is in your eyes it can cause blindness (obviously not good while trying to drive either).
  • Benadryl may help with the redness but the main thing is to get the sap off you.
My Story:
  • Unfortunately, that was me who asked myself the above question after a rude introduction to this toxic “ornamental” plant.
  • Shortly after I just bought a house I noticed a huge succulent bush in my back yard with pencil like stems. It seemed interesting and harmless enough so I cut a branch to grow the cutting.
  • Not a good idea.
  • When I cut the branch, this white sticky latex sap spurted out. It acted like a bottle of Elmer’s glue under pressure. Most of it missed me but a few drops got on my arm and hand.
  • Because I heard that some plant saps can be harmful, I immediately went inside and washed my arm for about 5 min.
  • At first nothing happened to me.
  • Then at about 2am I awoke to a terrible pain on my arm. It felt like white-hot-fire.
  • I immediately washed my arm again and went to the internet.

This is what I discovered in my search:
  • Many people sell this plant b/c it is easy to grow and looks cool.  However, no every seller will tell you that this plant is dangerous.
  • It goes by name different names. (Firestick Plants, Indian Tree Spurge, Naked Lady, Pencil Tree, Rubber-Hedge, Sticks on Fire or Milk Bush)
  • But the scientific name is:  Euphorbia tirucalli (you-FOR-bee-uh teer-ooh-KAL-eye)
 

Where it lives:
  • It is originally from Eastern and South Africa but has adapted all over the world.
  • In some areas, such as Brazil, it is grown it as a fence. It is very effective as a fence b/c no one wants to touch the thing.
  • The plant grows very well in dry environments.
  • Some websites discuss how the plant can be trained and shaped. But that requires putting yourself in major danger. My advice is to stay clear and don’t touch it.
Problem:
  • The sap is the big problem and is extremely toxic.
  • It causes burns, and can cause blindness if it gets in the eyes.
  • I have also read some articles implicating the plant as a cause of an aggressive type of lymphoma. This cancer may in part be a result of ingesting the sap as part of folk “herbal remedies.”
  • More acutely, many have died after a minimal amount of sap ingestion.
Where is it now?:
  • I never really noticed the plant before, but now I see it everywhere.
  • I have seen smaller potted Euphorbia tirucalli plants for sale at most major home improvement/garden stores. However, I have not seen a warning label on any of the plants. In fact, in one nationwide-chain home improvement a plant pamphlet in the garden center talked about the benefits and care for the plants they sell and not a word about this dangerous plant that was profiled on its own page. Truly amazing and irresponsible.
  • So beware, stay away and keep it from kids and animals.
  • If you must have it, don’t plant this thing in your yard. It grows fast, is dangerous and hard to get rid of.  Now I have a big Euphorbia tirucalli from a previous home owner and no one wants to remove it.
Here's some more info I found useful/interesting online:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia_tirucalli
http://www.nature.com/bjc/journal/v88/n10/full/6600929a.html
http://www.homegrownevolution.com/2010/04/least-favorite-plant-euphorbia.html
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/euphorbia_tirucalli.html
http://plantsarethestrangestpeople.blogspot.com/2009/01/cigarette-smoking-man-euphorbia.html

46 comments:

  1. Fighting disease together is ideal, for it must only make people aware that we must use appropriate medications the doctor prescribed us, and not to use or rely on natural products just for listening to a family friend heard, according to self-medication indicates findrxonline can be dangerous ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the sap will zap fire ants. Fight fire with fire????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was doing something in my back yard and i cut a small plant and it poured out me thinking its nothing I touch it and now my left hand is full of it and I feel a small fire burning sensation thanks for giving me some knowledge on what is on me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There should be a law that ALL nurseries and garden centers have a warning label on all these plants! This is totally irresponsible of the growers and sellers that they do not have a warning label.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just yesterday I had to go to Urgent Care because of this plant. I cut a couple of branches off a young plant, washed off a couple drops of sap on my fingers, yet within an hour my eyes were burning so badly I could hardly see. After no improvement in 3 hours, I went to Urgent Care and was given a steroid shot and an aesthetic in the eyes which provided immediate relief. I am having this toxic plant removed from my garden, as I won't go near it again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was at Urgent Care yesterday for the same issue. I had washed off the sap from my hands but hours later was washing my face and my eyes began to burn intensely. My vision went blurry. I would never have known this information from the plant seller. In California many neighbors are choosing succulents for their drought tolerant yards. Very timely information. Thank you very much, Dr. Osborne! Tracy in San Diego, CA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg I'm so miserable! Been 3 hours and still can't see!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2nd hour for me and my eye is still in excruciating pain

      Delete
  8. I was in the shower for about an hour, it is much better, but my eyes and skin burnt.nose ran for an hour, but head is reality clear . might just work for a medical treatment? Crazy stuff thank goodness I have very tuff skin . think I am ok now?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Firestick is a horrible plant. My neighbor planted it in a planter outside of my condo and my phone feel into the bush. I had a milky sap on my hand and then intense burning followed by swelling of my hand, arm and sharp pain in my spine and swelling of my joints. A few days later swelling of the back of my head- my brain! This a toxic plant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG...I live in Phoenix and was cutting my "Pencil Tree" Succulent. No problem really. But when I went inside to put my contacts in, I apparently didn't was my hands enough and it got in my eye. I had no idea at the time. I kept washing out my eye over and over. The pain became so intense I went to urgent care. They found nothing. They did put anesthetic in my eye twice and it totally helped. The pain went away for good after that, but my eye is still sore and I feel very fragile because the pain was intense.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yesterday morning I was transplanting cuttings of this plant, got in the shower and rubbed my eyes - I'd rinsed my hands but not scrubbed them with soap - oh, the pain and burning! I rinsed my eyes several times and went to the ER, where they put a local anesthetic in my eyes and then irrigated them for about 45 minutes (another painful experience). I still love the plant but it's so important to be very careful around it. Wear gloves, for one thing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too have fallen vitim to this plant,not knowing it was toxic pruned it got sap on me had shower then my eyes burnt and couldnt see had to go to hospital to clean eyes and also got a bit downstairs,burning pain blister,put alovera cream and ok now. This plant is getting poisoned then l am removing it revenge

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no what have I done. I just randomly broke a piece of this plant I found outside a restaurant and the milky sap got on to my hands. I didn't bother washing it till I got home. I don't feel anything yet but reading this and all these comments are making me scared

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you are ok at this time , Do you have an update ? I live in San Diego and see this plant all over the place in front of restaurants and businesses . Every landscaper or restaurant owner should check that all the plants they are planting out where all the public including children are around all the time are safe and non toxic ! After all nobody would plant poison ivy in front of their businesses for all to come in contact with or rub up against unknowingly. This is completely up to the business owners to make sure their places are safe ! Very irresponsible !!!

      Delete
  14. i just did it too eye streaming intense pain ooooh never again

    ReplyDelete
  15. Got it on my eyelids, lips, & neck. It sucked for a little bit. Didn't warrant going to the urgent care though. Crazy how it effects everyone differently.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omg my eye! Never experienced burning like this before. Afraid to fall asleep and wake up blind. Stood in the shower and let the water run down my face for 10 minutes while blinking very fast. Feels a lot better but still a little dry. I will NEVER touch a plant without gloves again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had to prune my nine foot pencil cactus yesterday to move it back inside. I started it from a cutting 24 years ago and it grows 1-2 feet every year. New the dangers very well and am always very careful — until yesterday. Was rushing to take kids to the zoo and did not wash hands and change shirt like I should have.

    The burning sensation in both eyes was beyond description. We skipped urgent care and I had wife drive me straight to ER. Thankfully I knew exactly what I had done, we do not get many cases in Chicago, winters too cold to plant this outdoors. Three hours in ER that included:

    Intramuscular shot for pain
    Narcotic pill for pain
    Three courses of topical pain reliever drops in eyes
    Flushing each eye with half liter saline solution from IV bottle

    Sent home with steroid/antibiotic drop prescription and anti-inflammatory painkiller prescription as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a 7 foot tall African Milk Bush that started as a 6" cutting from my parents' house in Florida. I love the thing, it's beautiful and rarely needs water. But, like some other folks I made a big mistake the first time I gave someone a cutting to grow at their own house. When I cut it, I noticed the milk and thought, "Wonder what that tastes like?" and so I licked the cut part. No problem at first, but within minutes my mouth started going numb, then my throat started to close and my tongue began to burn...luckily I didn't swallow any of it and after doing an internet search I relaized I'd be ok - within about 8 hours all was back to normal but now I know to wear rubber gloves and cut slowly when I give someone a cutting. You can literally start with a 6" cutting and within a few years it will be 7-8 ft tall!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I did not get any sap on me, I touched the stalk. later I rubbed my eye. It burned so bad I went to the nearest place for help. Lucky to get into a eye dr.s office. They saved me. It's a terrible plant. No joke no touch! Cost is to severe. Antibiotic ointment. Antiseptic wash. Pain meds. I learned a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Today a tiny bit of sap got rubbed in one eye, 20 min later going to urgent care with a cutting. Chemical burn on cornea, 30 minute saline flush, now pain meds and antibiotic drops. Terrible 4 hours, but ok now, maybe. Eye doctor tomorrow to follow up. The plant looks nice, but it will come out this week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I got poked in my eyebrow 2 years ago. Ended up in ER with a burned cornea. Luckily I flushed my eye for at least 15 mins before I got to ER. The issue now is if I pluck my eyebrow especially where I got poked the poison must remain under your skin, because 3 times it has flared and literally caused my eye to swell shut. It's like being bite by a brown recluse the poison can reignite in your body! It's awful. Sadly I do love the plant!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Burn Treatment Cream upon at the kind of burn. First-diploma burns commonly are dealt with pores and skin care products like aloe vera cream or an antibiotic ointment and pain remedy such as acetaminophen (Tylenol).

    ReplyDelete
  23. My whole body is infected with jumping Cholla cactuses unfortunately I have the sap on my body also and my legs my feet are swollen I need some help doctors don't know what to do and I researched a laser that will dissolve the cactuses but how do we get the sap off to your skin

    ReplyDelete
  24. I got some sap on my face and i thought i washed it off but the area got really red and irritated can someone give me answers please

    ReplyDelete
  25. My pencil tree is in the trash now. I, too, was trimming it and some of the white sap got in my mouth. It is still burning, like I ate a pepper, but doesn’t seem to be getting worse. My dog licked one of the small cuttings and she was sick for a couple of hours. Hopefully, we will not get any worse. Hence, the plant is in the trash!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thomas Osborne, if the plant is still in your yard, I recommend simply tenting it with something to get rid of it. If it's small enough, enclose it in a black garbage bag. I do this with cactus (I live in Texas) and mesquite that persist. I put them under a trash can with a brick on top, or a 50-gallon drum I have on hand used to hold water for horses in my younger days, or any old thing. Deprive them of light and water. Might take a year or even two.

    ReplyDelete
  27. After reading all the posts about this plant it's not really wise to purchase this plant, my thanks to all and will avoid it. However many plants are toxic and do have some use medically does anyone know if this plant does ?

    ReplyDelete
  28. How do i make it stop burning my skin

    ReplyDelete
  29. Under an emergency situation I would try applying a paste made with Sodium Bicarbonate or Baking Soda to neutralize an acidic components in the sap if the contact was on skin.
    NOT UNDER ANY CONDITIONS should this be used in the eyes as it may foster to complicate the situation and cause permanent Occular damage. Professional medical attention from a Doctor or ER is allways the best treatment. I am not a Doctor however I have spent many years working in various labs and for an acid exposure Sodium Bicarbonate was allways the immediate response when hit with acid only. Some agents which are corrosive are not acid based
    A Doctor should allways be consulted.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Can this plant tolerate, extreme cold conditions as found in New York

    ReplyDelete
  31. It entered my eyes as i was trimming it now i have a growth where the white liquid spurted.Am in pain as i keep feeling there is something in my eye but cant be removed.Doctors say its just a mere inflammation.Any home remedy please help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I experienced the same exact situation. The eye still feels like something is still inside and the pain is still a problem.Doctor said that the condition may improve over time and treatment for this SAP is not really known.
      For my own personal treatment I have been rinsing the eye with a mild solution of an eye cleansing solution which is available at any pharmacy. Not the drops. I find rinsing the eye twice a day helps. Please check with your own doctor before using anything in your eyes. The wrong thing could make
      things worse and may cause permanent damage. Hope this helps, again check with a Doctor before doing anything. Please post any other information that may be useful for others.

      Delete
  32. I have been planting these on and off for a few weeks at a wholesale nursery that I work at. I get sap all over my hands and arms, for me it doesn't do anything for a few hours then it burns a bit. Got some which had already dried in my eye today as I didn't wash my hands and gave it a rub. Man oh man. Quickly used a little evaporated milk to flush it out as it was like fire sauce. I am going to suggest a warning label to the management after reading these comments and feeling some of the eye burn and looking into potential complications that may arise.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Does anyone know if a nursery would uproot a fire stick 10 feet tall free for them to sell and keep the profit?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Do you have any more information on the ingestion of it? We are desperate!! Our 2 year old daughter at a piece this weekend. She experienced profuse vomiting, was unable to bare any weight on her legs and unable to lift her arms. Additionally, and the most concerning is she had significant altered mental status for over and hour and a half. The Children’s hospital had little information to provide as they have not had any experience with it. Poison control had little information for them and us as most of their information was on contact not ingestion. Thus far we have no information on what she was actually happening with her and any effects she may experience going forward. We have no idea if further effects can be in her future. ANY information would be greatly appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. why isthis stuff on the market? i am a groundskeeper i trimmed 2 fire stik plants and lived to regret it. not knowing what they were somehow i got some around my eyes and to make a long story short i was in a lot of pain for eight hrs . went to urgent care they said you are going to emergency it took a lot of flushing. fortunately the sap that got on my arms did not affect me so much but the stuff is really hard to get off. the plants are going to be pulled out like now!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I recommend using toothpaste to put on where it gets burn and leave it for awhile then wash it off, he husband had his arms burned like fire and after he used toothpaste then totally fine and no more pain.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Blanket washed in washing machine with milky substance. Will the substance stay in my washer or after 8 hours we don't have to worry?

    ReplyDelete
  38. We just had 3 large fire stick plants removed from our backyard. Does anyone know how long the sap stays toxic in the soil? We also may have some sap that got onto our cement patio (we don’t see any, but have read that it drys clear). I read that you can use 1 part bleach to 7 parts cold water to get rid of the toxicity…does anyone know if that works? We are concerned because we have a small dog and worry that she may get some of the sap on her paws.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love all the information that you have shared on the blog! puppies

    ReplyDelete